WHERE =NULL malfunction in release 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Ingo Ciechowski
Subject WHERE =NULL malfunction in release 7.2
Date
Re: WHERE =NULL malfunction in release 7.2
Re: WHERE =NULL malfunction in release 7.2
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

first of all let me tell all of you that PostgreSQL is among the best
in OpenSource!

Unfortunaly there's a (hopefully easy to fix) bug in release 7.2 and
7.2.1 that was not there in 7.1.3 and caused me to switch back today.

Here's the table I'm using (unfortunately I already switched back to
7.1.3 and therefore can't verify whether or not this occurs with an
easier setup):

i++=# \d uri
                      Table "uri"
     Column    |           Type           | Modifiers
--------------+--------------------------+-----------
  template_id  | integer                  |
  content_id   | integer                  | not null
  freigegeben  | timestamp with time zone |
  gueltig_von  | timestamp with time zone |
  gueltig_bis  | timestamp with time zone |
  queue_status | integer                  |
  site_id      | integer                  |
  uri          | text                     |
Primary key: uri_pkey
Triggers: RI_ConstraintTrigger_17236,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_17242,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_17255,
           RI_ConstraintTrigger_17257

And here we add sam sample data:

i++=# INSERT INTO uri VALUES (3,3,NULL);
INSERT 17604 1

Which is in the database:

i++=# select * from uri;
  template_id | content_id |          freigegeben          |
gueltig_von          | gueltig_bis | queue_status | site_id |     uri

-------------+------------+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+-------------+--------------+---------+-------------
            3 |          3 |                               |
|             |              |         |
(1 rows)

However - if you want to access a <timestamp>=NULL value, it is not found :-((

i++=# select * from uri where freigegeben=NULL;
  template_id | content_id | freigegeben | gueltig_von | gueltig_bis |
queue_status | site_id | uri
(0 rows)

Hope to hear from you in a while - please reply directly to
mailto:ciechowski@cis-computer.com, since I'm not on this list.

Ingo